Thursday, June 7, 2007

Position of Privilege

Today is the morning of what has become annually the most sacred aspect of my ministry. Waking up in this beautiful space with three other beautiful souls as we wait for the rest of the Children of God to arrive. The first year I had a very looming sense of trying to keep my own life a secret. "Shhhhh.....don't tell anyone I'm straight." What I learned from this group of profoundly called pastors is that they care about my life and are equally as excited for me when I have fallen in love and remain there. So the first year of awkwardly sharing that "I kiss boys" ( "so do I" was the most caring response by some of my brothers in faith) has been able to transform in to genuine truth-telling.

As the only straight person of faith in this gathering, I am in a position of privilege- privilege in that I have been welcomed into this sacred circle. Privileged to be with these brilliant, passionate, loving persons of faith who are called by God to serve in ordained ministry...that they would even want to serve in our denomination.... and for the PC (USA) to say no is the most self-destructive behavior the
church can engage in.

And we wonder why the church is dying.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe my sister (m2fT) is on her way to you. Blessings on you all just as you are blessing to us all.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I have recently come out as bi myself, though married to a man....Am visiting to wish you blessings of strength, joy, courage and playfulness on your retreat and your paths to ministry.

I will pray for you, esp. today on my own retreat day in preparation for consecration as bishop of Sophia Catholic Communion. We are a feminist, egalitarian, queer friendly Independent Catholic jurisdiction that was birthed between Ascension and Pentecost.

One of my sisters, preparing for her own deacon ordination in September, is posting prayers for me this week on our e-group and I would like to share a modified version of today's as a prayer for you all:

God/dess of justice and truth, in every generation you send prophets
to your people. Strengthen these servants you have called in their prophetic vocation as you lead
your people into new ways of being. Show them how to reconcile
false oppositions, and how to challenge institutional ways of thinking that get in the way of the call to be your church. We ask this in the name of the Speaker, the Word, and the Breath. Amen.