Friday, June 8, 2007

Appearance

Appearance. Heh. Even after the not-quite-eternal trip here, I looked
all right. Late, I knew there would already be lots of folks here,
and - OK, I know these are the people least likely to care about
externals - but like Mom said, you only get one chance to make a
first impression. And I did look OK, fixed my face, brushed my hair,
wearing my cute new skirt. And the people were of course great, open,
friendly, accepting, welcoming. Dinner (standing on the porch eating
lasagna), great dinner conversation. Then time for the first meeting...
Well, the skirt was the first thing to go -- not very practical when
you're sitting in a circle on the floor. With the temp around 90 (?),
the wig was the next to go. Then the shoes. Oh, and the face, I
discovered later what 90 degree sweat will do to mascara! So now
today I'm just dressed like me, because (and I guess this is the
point of this long ramble) that's who all of us are here to be, and
who we kinda expect all of us to be. It is so freeing to be here -
free to be me (thank you Marlo Thomas)... Christian, queer,
emotional, affectionate, shy, whatever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you look wonderful sitting there in the circle!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and as I think of you, I remember this well-loved American poem about circles.

"He drew a circle..."

He drew a circle that shut me out--
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in!

"Outwitted" by Edwin Markham (complete poem)

Source: The Best Loved Poems of the American People. Doubleday, 1936. p.67

Love to you all,
known by some as,
Karen, the Rental Mom

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you felt good about how you looked when you arrived.

i'm glad you can be you in the circle.

i'm glad you're there.

peace to you.
an upstate new york friend