Friday, June 8, 2007

Holy Witness of the Pistachio

Being one who generally walks by faith and not by sight, I would not be one who'd engage the spiritual discipline of "setting out fleece for the morning dew"; still, I marvel -- expectantly -- with Spirit affirmation that I am in a good place on God's time.  Expectantly, I am apt to go where I've never been before, lead by the mysterium of unction, gut, and curiosity.  Coming here is one such place where I arrived through Spirit agency.

In this predestined (prepared) place I was welcomed by the witness of pistachios in its ministry of serendipity and grace! Let me help you understand...

While I work as a writer and holy scribe, I nosh on nuts.  In cyclical consumption, it takes about a week for me to work my way through a bag of dry roasted unsalted almonds, dry roasted unsalted cashews, or uncolored pistachios.  Although pistachios treasures are the messiest nut meat, they are my favorite nuts to consume! Eating pistachios take more time to savor and leave evidence they'd been present in my work space (eg., pull out the vacuum cleaner).  Enjoying pistachios require me to slow down and savor the journey to its center.  

What an epiphanal experience and sermon illustration -- "O, taste and see that God is good!" -- to slow down, savor and center.  Slow down. Savor. Center.  Slow...down...Savor...Center!

To arrive here was worth a day's delay in traveling, ambivalent expectations, and wearing jeans and Crocs (to know me is to know I am not a jeans and crocs kinda gal) because I was welcomed by two -- not one, but two -- large bowls of pistachios!  I'd resisted packing pistachios for the trip, regarding them as too messy to enjoy in an unfamiliar place.  Instead I brought snack packs of dry roasted unsalted almonds, a much neater nosh, indeed.  

To enter in and see the fellowship table set with bowls of pistachios was Spirit witness -- I AM is here, never to leave you nor forsake you, I prepared this place for you, welcome into the family of God!  Twas it not Shakespeare whos espouse, "there are sermons in stone?"  Such being should the rocks cry out in our place, so much more is there praise in pistachios -- evidence that I am indeed in a good place and in God's will and one God's time!

Thank you God for your grace.

No comments: