Friday, June 8, 2007

being Presbyterian, deep prayer, and this group

I've used this line so many times I might as well put it up for all the web to see: I'm Christian by faith, Protestant by choice, Presbyterian by accident. (The astute reader, like my friend this afternoon, will point out that Presbyterian by accident is an oxymoron.) Anyway, the way I got involved in the PCUSA is that, at a time when I needed to find a new church after leaving my old Methodist church, the nearest progressive congregation in my new home town happened to be Presbyterian.

So the deepening of my faith over the past few years, it's hard to know if it would've happened anywhere, or if I'm just getting in touch with my inner Presbyterian, or if it happened because of the "being called" business (though maybe that last one should be vice versa). But what I want to say tonight is that it really builds on itself. During our time of prayer in our worship service tonight, I felt an intensity stronger than I've ever felt during any group prayer before. And it just went on and on. Unlike Sunday mornings, when the pressure is on to get the whole service done in 60 minutes or less. In this group, though, we keep on praying until we've all emptied our hearts into the Lord's ear. The reverence in the room is palpable. 

Words can't express (which doesn't stop  me from trying) how grateful I am for this sister-/brotherhood. Someone today (or yesterday, whatever) suggested that we are a holy order of called queer people. That's what it feels like. Thank you, Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that we are Christian, Protestant, Presbyterian, and the sexual beings we are, by God's grace.

It sounds like you felt that tonight. Praise God!

A Friend in Upstate New York